Friday, October 10, 2014

Mason Jar project without the jar!


Julie and I on the set of Scrapbook Soup.
Happy Friday and here’s another Scrapbook Soup episode for you! (http://www.scrapbooksouptv.com

Here is the info on the episode that will be airing for one week starting at 10am (EST) on 10/10:

In an interview with Jenn Mason, we learn how Jenn took her interest and talent in scrapbooking and applied them to other mixed media art forms.
  
Episode 402 Off the Page
Our designers are not content to stay on the page. First, Kazan Clark embellishes mason jars with die cut flowers. Jenn Mason talks with Julie about her creative process in a short interview. Next, Kathy Cano-Murillo shares her technique for creating a colorful sugar skull to embellish an album or journal. Julie shares a last technique using sugar skulls and flowers to embellish Halloween themed mason jars.

I like this episode because it has some fun Mason Jar art. And you know I love Mason jars. In fact, I thought I’d take a moment to share one of my favorite Mason jar projects that doesn’t even need a jar!
When we finished remodeling the basement of our carriage house I wanted to create a staircase that gave a nod to our name “Mason” and also gave the house a sense of whimsy.

Watch this video to see the finished project:

Here is how I got it done:

  1. Choose your design element. In my case, I chose all different Mason Jar logos.
  2. Set up an enlarging station. I use Tracer projector over the design element and project up onto a wall.
  3. Project onto clear contact paper. Tape up pieces of the contact paper (paper-backing side down) with paint tape and project the element in a larger, desired size. Trace around the element with a Sharpie©.
  4. Cut out the shape creating. Use a craft knife to create a sticky stencil.
  5. Place the stencils. Remove the paper backing and adhere to the stairs. 
  6. Paint the open stencil areas. I painted directly on the stained but unsealed stairs with oil paint (because they were sealed with an oil-based polyurethane. The oil paint too a LONG time to dry.)
  7. Distress if desired. I took some fine grained sandpaper to the painted items to make it look more like old crates had been used for the stairs.
  8. Seal as desired.
That's all there is. It's a little time consuming but pretty easy and worth it! What would you paint on your stairs? Share in the comments and enjoy this week's episode of Scrapbook Soup.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Lisa Chin said...

What a great idea Jenn! It looks fabulous!